Table of Contents
The Charles County Sheriff’s Office Corrections Division manages the safety and security of two facilities: the Charles County Detention Center Main Facility and the Charles County Detention Center Annex. The Corrections Division is responsible for maintaining custody and security of pretrial and sentenced inmates. Offenders are offered a variety of programs to reduce recidivism and help them re-enter society as more productive citizens.
The Staff of the Corrections Division have several areas of responsibility, to include but not limited to, the Emergency Response Team (ERT), Transport/Court Holding, Work Release, Central Processing, Classification, Security Enforcement Team (SET), Standards & Accreditation, and Custody & Security.
The Corrections Division strives to meet strict professional standards. In 2001, the Charles County Detention Center became the first Adult Detention Center in the State of Maryland to earn 100 percent compliance during a Maryland Commission on Correctional Standards Audit. The CCDC has continually received 100 percent compliance ratings in all areas during subsequent audits which occur every three years.
As with any Division within the Sheriff’s Office, the Corrections Division is active in the Community and routinely participates in Christmas Toy Drives to benefit the Children’s Aid Society, The National Day of Caring, Fishing Buddies Tournament, Special Olympics Torch Run, Christmas in April, and many others.
To contact the Detention Center call 301-932-3101. To learn more about the Corrections Division’s functions and leadership, visit the About Our Divisions page.
Visiting Policy & Hours
The Charles County Detention Center offers remote visits between citizens and inmates. All visits are conducted by video, not in person. Video visitation services are provided by iWebVisit.com.
The following rules apply to every person participating in a remote visit:
- Engaging in illegal or illicit behavior, including disrobing and/or sexual behavior, is strictly prohibited and will result in visit termination. A visitor who engages in such activity will be prohibited from any further visits of any inmate at the Charles County Detention Center and may be subject to criminal charges. The inmate will also be charged with violating the visiting rules and will not be allowed any more visits for the remainder of his or her incarceration.
- Visitors must dress appropriately. Clothing must cover from the neck to the kneecaps.
- If any person becomes disorderly during the visit, the visit will be terminated.
- Any person under the influence of drugs or alcohol will not be permitted to visit an inmate.
Remote Visiting Procedures and Fees
To participate in remote visiting, you will need access to a device with a web-cam and high-speed Internet. Accounts are created and visits are scheduled at iWebVisit.com.
Each inmate is allowed four remote visits per day and each visit is 15 minutes long. The cost is $4.50 per visit for standard visitors and $5.50 per visit for qualified professionals who choose to visit via this service. In the event your visit is canceled, a credit voucher may not be issued.
All non-professional visits will be monitored and recorded.
Remote Visiting Hours
Remote visits may be scheduled two hours in advance and can be scheduled up to three weeks in advance. Remote visits are offered seven days a week during the following hours:
7:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Back to top
Inmates may have a maximum account balance of $200. Funds must be submitted by Wednesday for commissary orders to be placed on Thursday mornings. There are three options for leaving funds:
- Money Orders: May be mailed or dropped off at the Detention Center lobby during business hours (and by 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday for commissary orders).
- Kiosk (Cashier Machine): Funds may be left using the touchscreen kiosk located in the Detention Center lobby 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This machine accepts credit, debit and cash. There is a service fee for cash and a service fee of 10 percent of the total deposit for credit/debit.
- Online: Funds may be deposited online through JailATM. Visit the JailATM website to create an account and make a deposit.
- Receipts are forwarded to the inmate for all deposit transactions — generally, the next business day.
Back to top
PO Box 1690
La Plata, MD 20646
- Letters must be mailed through the U.S. Postal Service.
- Letters must have the inmate’s full name. Letters bearing nicknames are not accepted.
- Letters must include full name and address of sender. Letters bearing nicknames or initials will be returned to the Post Office.
When contacting inmates by mail, only the following items are acceptable:
- Non-embellished, single-fold standard greeting cards
- Up to 5 photos per week. Photos must not exceed 4×6 inches and must be copied or printed on white paper. Original photos will cause the mail to be returned to sender.
- Money Orders (must be payable to the inmate and must have the purchaser’s name and address)
- No original envelopes, correspondence, or photos will be given to inmates, contents will be copied and forwarded to the inmate
ALL OTHER ITEMS WILL BE RETURNED
Examples of UNACCEPTABLE items:
- Blank paper and/or envelopes
- Cash or personal checks
- Newspaper or magazine articles or clippings
- Suggestive photos
- Puzzle pages
- Copies of books
- Perfume on envelopes
- Colored Artwork
If you are unsure if an item is acceptable, ask the inmate or call the Charles County Detention Center at 301-932-3101 PRIOR to sending the mail. For questions regarding the Charles County Detention Center’s policy and procedures call 301-932-3101.
Back to top
No messages are taken for or relayed to inmates.
Inmates are given the opportunity to make one phone call when there is a change in status.
To receive phone calls from an inmate, the recipient must create an account using IC Solutions, an inmate telephone service. Brochures are available at the Charles County Detention Center and information is available online at www.ICSolutions.com. Contact IC Solutions directly to open an account or if you have questions about the service.
IC Solutions Customer Service: 240-427-5700
Back to top