New School Zone Speed Enforcement Camera Location Announced
The Charles County Sheriff’s Office Automated Speed Enforcement Unit is announcing the addition of a new speed camera site. During the week of December 9 through Dec. 13, an automated speed enforcement camera will be placed at Malcolm Elementary School located at 14760 Poplar Hill Road in Waldorf. This marks the fourth school zone site in which speed cameras are currently authorized. The other sites are located at Wade Elementary School, McDonough High School and Craik Elementary School. Cameras are generally rotated every week. As a courtesy, the locations of the cameras are posted weekly on the CCSO Agency facebook page.
The Charles County Sheriff’s Office has three mobile cameras. The Agency is exploring additional camera locations within other school zones and is currently conducting required traffic studies. Here are a few additional facts about automated speed cameras in Charles County:
- Cameras are activated Monday through Friday 6 a.m. – 8 p.m., in designated school zones. The only exception is Wade Elementary which operates from 7 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Cameras are activated all year long including holidays and summertime.
- Violators must be traveling 12 m.p.h. over the posted speed limit for the camera to activate.
- A school zone speed camera violation is a $40 fine with no points.
- Citations are issued to the registered owner of the vehicle.
For more information, follow this link.